Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Luke

Well, I can't avoid blogging any longer.
Too much going on. Luke turned 2 today and Henry started kindergarten. Nate went to second grade.
I had an experience yesterday and hesitate to type lest I start crying again. I'll sum it up quickly.. Luke's swimming party, he had no float on b/c I ( I is capitalized here) took it off him to sing "happy bday, etc. Big crowd, 25-30 kids, 50+ adults. Everyone was watching Luke, but no one was JUST watching him. He was playing in the cooler of ice with a couple of other toddlers. I was trying to organize pinyata. Being fearless of the water, he apparantly ran and jumped into pool without anyone noticing. Not sure how long he was in there. Somehow he kicked to the top and turned around to grab hold of the side of the pool. I shouldn't say somehow, because I am certain angels were all around him and lifted him up from the water to grab hold.
I looked and noticed I didn't see him so I said "where's Luke" and ran. I saw 2 little hands holding on to the concrete and found my baby screaming. I lifted his limp body up and he was completely terrorized.
I cried until I fell asleep last night. How long had he struggled to get hold of the side? How much longer could he have held on before he'd slipped under? How many close calls do we or our children encounter throughout the day that we don't even know about?
I know I can't keep going over the "what ifs" but I do know this: I want to be a Mom who covers her children with prayer from morning to night. I will not take this responsibility lightly because I believe prayer will change things for my boys. I don't want to just pray without ceasing, but I want them to know that I am praying, so they will learn to pray also.

I thank God that I was able to hold my sweet Luke last night all night long, watching him breathe, rousting him when I kissed his lips and holding him close to me until he woke me up this morning.
Children are a gift from God!

On another note,
I bought a camera! Just haven't taken any pictures yet.

1 comment:

christieconnatser said...

Joy, I can't imagine what that felt like BUT you are absolutely right about prayer! I pray for my boys all the time and when we have prayer time together, we all take turns saying a prayer.....we love you guys and pray for you, too.