Thursday, February 04, 2010

Thyroid

Who'd ever thought that a little gland in your neck could effect so much stuff!!!

I have been taking synthroid for 8 years and never had any problems other than having to tweak my dosage during a pregnancy, etc.

I went to have my tsh checked last month (which is what you do every year when you have hypothyroidism) and my amazingly brilliant Nurse Practitioner MaLee had the good mind to run some other tests, do an ultrasound of my neck and determined that I have 2 major thyroid issues that have to be dealt with. 1 - I have Hashimoto's Disease, an autoimmune disease that your own body attacks your thyroid gland and tries to destroy it. Quite common & not a big deal as long as it doesn't go undiagnosed. However, undiagnosed, it can be deadly. 2 - I have several nodules on my thyroid that are very inflamed & need to be shrunk or removed.

Her treatment plan was to put me on a mega dose of synthroid - like med's, killing my thyroid & hopefully shrinking the nodules. If they aren't smaller in 3 months, then she will remove them because very often they are cancerous. However, thyroid cancer is very treatable & nothing to worry about.

So, what's the point of me sharing this with my blogging audience you ask? She told me that during the course of the next 3 month I will feel like (I'm using her words) I am losing my mind. That I will become irritable, depressed, anxious & who knows what else??? She said to me "get ready, cause it's gonna get bad." Yes, she said that. Those words exactly. And she isn't overly dramatic.

Please keep my (and my household) in your prayers because I'm irritable enough as it is.
And, keep a watch on your own thyroid. Especially you women of childbearing age. Symptoms include: depression, fatigue, dry skin, dry hair, weight gain or loss. Hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, hyperthyroidism is very common & often goes undiagnosed.

2 comments:

Denise Powell said...

We are praying for you, Joy!!

Powell Drivel said...

We are praying for you too! And we promise to forgive you for anything you say or do over the next few months :-)