Thursday, February 11, 2010

Jacob's visit

Today Henry is having a friend over after school. Jacob is one of the special needs children in Mrs. Becky's class. His Mom is so excited because Jacob has never been to a friends house to play. Henry's teacher is excited too. She says that Henry is a very compassionate boy and interacts with all the special needs children well. I have been trying to teach Nate & Henry about loving and being friends with people who aren't just like them. Thanks to a great book Denise recommended, NutureShock, I have learned lots about teaching them to not have prejudices when it comes to race or handicaps, etc. This book says that we need to talk about differences, so I have been telling then when it comes up in conversation that they can be friends with children that have different colored skin, they can invite them over to play, they can love them, etc. We've been talking about handicaps, and how everyone is different, but God made all of us and loves all of us just the same. It sounds silly & obvious, but they are very receptive and interested.

Like every other Mom, I hope that my children do well in school enjoy activities and grow to be happy, well adjusted men one day. But my daily prayer, the one I pray every night out loud (so they will hear me and understand how important it is) is that they will grow up to be men that love Jesus more than anything else in the world and that they would love other people like Jesus did.

I will let you know how our playdate goes....

No comments: