Sunday, March 06, 2016

ONS fire!

Sunday was a beautiful day here in Oconee County. The boys were outside working on their fort and playing in the creek. Bryan heard a boom and immediately knew that it came from the nuclear station. He went online and saw that unit one had been shut down. Then the emergency system was activated and he had to run off to work! I had not seen the smoke in the sky yet and did not know that I needed to freak out.
When I saw the smoke I knew it was coming from Duke Power. I screamed for the boys to come inside because I was afraid they were breathing toxic fumes. Henry kept telling me he was stuck in the creek and I threatened him within an inch of his life. He promised that he could not get out. I strapped on my tennis shoes and headed down only to find that his knee high tall boot was stuck in the mud. I pulled a Nate and Henry dog in the mud but we could not get it unstuck. I said to leave the boot we've got to get inside and we ran to the house Henry wearing only one shoe. I found out thanks to Facebook that the fire was not inside the reactor building. It was in the switchyard. It was still a very scary afternoon. Bryan Will be at work until 5am. 

No comments: