Sunday, October 05, 2014

Nate and the saxophone

Last Thursday I found Nate lying across his bed crying. What's  wrong Nate? I ask.  After many long minutes of me begging him to talk to me, he finally tells me that he's awful in band! He says everytime he plays he's embarrassed and he's actually just pretending to play during class.  He is absolutely devastated!  He goes on to tell me how band is his most favorite thing and  he wants to be a good player so desperately.  It breaks my heart to see him so upset, so being the helicopter mom I am, of course I email his teacher that night.  I tell her that he really doesn't like attention, good or bad, and he would never come to her with this.  I tell her how he's pretending to play and ask for any suggestions or advice.  She replies immediately the next morning.  She's an amazing teacher and she begins by telling me that she had tears in her eyes writing me! She said when she read my email, she immediately got his instrument out to inspect it.  Turns out, the octave key was stuck open (he's playing my 30 year old sax) and the only sound that would come out of it was a squeak!  I was so glad to know that it was something so simple!  She never told him what the problem was.  He came home from school very happy that day and said he thought he'd figured out what he was doing wrong all this time (puffing his cheeks out too much)! That next night while he prayed he said, "Jesus, thank you for that miracle that happened with my saxophone and just keep letting miracles like that happen to me."

2 comments:

Denise Powell said...

Tears streaming down my face-- such a sweet hearted boy! God do please keep letting miracles like that happen to him!

Powell Drivel said...

Such a sweet story, Joy! Nate has such a tender heart. Im so glad he's happy in band class now. He's blessed to have a caring mom and teacher.