Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Head Injury

Yesterday was ended up in the ER with Luke after a scary head injury. We had a playdate at McDonalds for lunch. Luke tripped on another little boys foot and fell, hitting his forehead on the floor. A typical fall, one he's experience frequently. I was standing right beside him so I quickly picked him up. He let out a big cry and then he went completely limp in my arms. His eyes rolled back in his head. At first I thought it was a seizure, but it turned out to be more on the lines of being knocked out. My girlfriend, Jennifer witnessed his behavior & after about 30 seconds or so we both said in a panic, "he's not acting right!" I dashed out the door dialing my pediatrician as I pulled into the ER parking lot. Oconee ER was fantastic. We were with a Dr in a matter of minutes and by this time Luke was acting better, whining and ready for a nap. We stayed around an hour for observation and the Dr. decided not to perform a CT scan because of the exposure to radiation. He said he probably had a concussion, but you couldnt' be sure without further testing. We have watched him closely all evening & night and I am taking him to the pediatrician this morning for a recheck. He went to sleep last night in his bed, as usual, but just before Bryan and I turned out the lights, Bryan carried him to our bed. I snuggled him all night thanking God for all His blessings and praying that He would continue to protect my children. I know with 3 rowdy boys I am bound to see broke bones & blood, but I want to keep the head injuries to a minimum!

No comments: