Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Is it Friday yet???

It's been a "rough week." Bryan left for 10 days in Spain Friday. I have had a terrible cold/sinus infection. I started a running club that unconvinced about 40 teachers/administrators. Nate has had a rough week of 5th grade. 
I was near tears all day yesterday worried about social studies, running club, how i was going to help nate with 3 hours of homework without henry and Luke killing each other and what was for dinner. 
I talked the boys into haircuts at my salon. Picture day is Monday and I couldn't stand Henry's sideburns. 
I didn't tell the stylist what to do. I let the boys tell her. Now they're upset they got it cut. They've been whining (Nate) and crying (Henry) all evening about what a disaster their hair is. "It's too short!" "Can we take some Quick Grow Vitamins?"
I sat in the bedroom tonight while we were praying and gave them a pep talk. I told them how I understood the frustrations of a bad haircut. I've been there! 
I tried to explain that even though they were sad their hair was too short, in the big scheme of things it's so insignificant. They struggled to believe that 40,000 children will die today of starvation. That some kids would give anything, shave their head, for the food we threw away. That children in our very county were being abused right now. That we were so blessed. To just be thankful that our biggest worry was our hair.
Then I thought about my "rough week" and felt so guilty. 

2 comments:

Powell Drivel said...

If it's any consolation, we ate with Josh tonight and he was bragging about how successful the running club was. Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job all around. Sometimes you just have one of those weeks where every thing goes bad. Hope things are on the upswing and you feel better soon.

Denise Powell said...

What a great Mom you are Joy!! Those boys are so lucky and even if they don't believe it, handsome as can be!! I love their haircuts because you can see more of their precious faces :) We are coming in to town on Monday. We want to help-- I would love to help with running club or taking Luke after school-- just let me know. Let's talk today!!