Sunday, January 24, 2010

Feeding the Kids

I took a fantastic class yesterday at Oconee Mem Hospital about feeding your kids healthy foods. I'm so excited about implementing her eating rules. Thought'd I'd share them here:
1. Just look at it (on your plate).
2. Notice when your own stomach is full.
3. Nobody has to eat anything they don't want to eat.
4. No bad-mouthing the food.
5. Sorry, no seperate meals for the kids.
6. Non stop munching is not allowed! Eat your meals & snacks instead.

The class teacher & author of the book had a real laid back approach to changing a picky eater to a pleasant eater. Her philosophy was that forcing a child to eat a particular food, even just one bite, wasn't effective. It also makes mealtimes miserable. This morning for breakfast, Henry (who only eats cereal) tolerated looking at blueberries & a very small bowl of oatmeal. He didn't taste it, but he didn't mind it being there. Because nobody was telling him to try it, he wasn't threatened by it being there. Usually he would have squealed & said "get it off! get it off my plate!" I am anticipating that one day, he will try it.
The class will be offered again on Feb. 20 and I highly recommend it!

Training for the half marathon is going good. I ran 7 miles yesterday and it was fairly easy except for bruised heels. I've also been doing p90x for 2 weeks & I love it! I think it is helping with strength & cardio endurance. I know it is really really tough!

1 comment:

christieconnatser said...

Hey, Joy! I was wondering how the class went! Good luck on the half marathon...I would LOVE to do one but two things are against me at this point and time..1- time and 2- the discipline to use the few moments of spare time I have to train...but I do love running...